Saturday, October 2, 2010

Tong Hua

Have you heard of this song Tong Hua (童話) sung by Malaysian singer Michael Wong (王光良) ?

It is one of the most popular Chinese songs ever in the world, making it to the top of the Baidu 500 for a record 15 weeks right after it was released as a single in January 2005.

Translated to English, Tong Hua means Fairy Tale.

Composed and written by Michael Wong himself, this song has a simple but very nice melody. Perhaps because of its simplicity, many people like to sing it, making it a top song on the karaoke charts for many years.

Here's a music video of the song. You may need to increase the volume a little as the audio quality is not very good.



This video had generated much debate as many people believed it was based on a true story about a girl who died of blood cancer. As such, this song had moved many to tears.

The song was so popular that it was even recorded in the Malay version by young and upcoming Singaporean singer Aliff Aziz. However, the lyrics were changed and the title was called Cinta Arjuna.

Watch the video here.



After listening to this song many times, I decided to try and play it on the piano. I love to improvise a song I hear to make it sound a little different from the original and that's what I had done for this one.

As usual, my playing is not perfect, in fact I think I was rushing in certain parts, but I hope you will enjoy it! Thank you for listening!



FIRST COMMENTER

No comments:

Post a Comment