Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Twin Pagodas Of Shan Lake

Remember my Two Rivers Four Lakes Night Cruise on my first night in Guilin? I spotted the famous Twin Pagodas while on the cruise and was so mesmerized by them that I had wanted to take more photos of them?

On my fourth night in Guilin, after returning from the Jingjiang Princes' City, I had that chance again. Jam, his friend and I went for a walk after dinner at the park near Shan Lake and we saw the Twin Pagodas again.

But first, let me blogged about our dinner. We ate at Xi Shui Cui Yu Xuan, the same restaurant we had lunch on our first day in Guilin.

We had glass noodles.



Snails.



Can't see those snails clearly? Let me magnify for you.



I actually did not know how to eat them. Jam taught me. I think snails were common and a popular dish in Guilin!

We rounded up the dinner with fish!



Noticed all those nuts? Seemed to me that Guilin people like to put nuts in their fish and their rice noodles!

After dinner, we went for a walk at the park facing Shan Lake.

At first we wanted to visit that famous Guilin Lijiang Waterfall Hotel to watch the man-made waterfall that made it into the Guiness Book Of Records. Unfortunately, we were told that the waterfall was out of order!

So we went to the park instead and had a leisurely walk. Here, we saw the magnificent Twin Pagodas again!



The Twin Pagodas which are famous landmarks in the city of Guilin, consists of the Sun and the Moon Pagodas.

The 9-storied Sun Pagoda, which is the higher of the two, is about 41 metres tall, and is lighted in bright yellowish gold. It is said to be made of solid bronze and may well be the tallest bronze pagoda in the world.

The 7-storied Moon Pagoda, on the other hand, is about 35 metres tall, is lighted in blue and is made of wood and glazed tiles.



The Twin Pagodas are located at the centre of the lake. There is a bridge to reach the Moon Pagoda but unfortunately we did not know about that! So we did not go up that Pagoda but instead watched it from afar! How I regretted it!

I also learnt that both the pagodas are connected by an underwater tunnel! How marvellous! So the only way to reach the Sun Pagoda is via the tunnel from the Moon Pagoda. If only we knew about that!!

Oh well, no point regretting now. If I ever go Guilin again, I will definitely make it a point to visit the magnificent Twin Pagodas!

FIRST COMMENTER

No comments:

Post a Comment