Sunday, November 23, 2008

Dimsum Brunch at Eest, Westin

Gosh! I think I'm eating too many buffets nowadays! I have to stop spending my hard earned money on all these lavish buffets. Not only are they not doing any good to my pocket, they are also not doing any good to my figure.

Last Saturday, I went with a group of friends to Eest at Westin Hotel, KL for dimsum buffet brunch. I normally don't go for dimsum buffet, prefer to have it ala carte. But my friend tempted me with a 50% discount offer, so off I went!

It was my first time eating at Eest, so I did not had any expectations of it. It was a sit down buffet, meaning we simply ordered as much as we want from the menu and the food would be brought to us.



That's the beef dumpling on top left, followed clockwise with dragon beard prawn ball, xiao loong bao or Shanghai dumpling, shrimp and chicken dumpling with fish roe and har kau or cyrstal prawn dumpling.

I have to say, they were pretty average. The xiao loong bao was not good at all - certainly not their specialty as there were no soup oozing out of it! Although I do not consider the xiao loong bao I ate at Dragon-I restaurant to be very good, they were certainly ten times better than the one I ate here!



These wu kok or taro dumpling were filled with scallop and chicken, but I did not like it either. Maybe the skin were too thick and the ingredients inside too little.



When I saw the mini egg tarts with caramel and banana on the menu, I was very eager to try it! I thought it was special as I have never eaten banana egg tart before. Unfortunately, my first bite of this mini egg tart disappointed me. Maybe I should not expect it to be as good as those from Canton-i or from Tong Kee, but still, I had expected better from an expensive restaurant like Eest!




OK, I have no idea what all the items here are called, except for the egg tart (same as the ones in the photo above) on the bottom left. They were pretty average tasting, no wonder I forgot the names!

Now I really don't know if it's just me, but I did not seem to have any praises for the food here so far! How could it be that bad? But all my friends agreed the food were just so so.

We called for a few more dishes like chicken feet with XO sauce, pan fried turnip cake also with XO sauce, Hong Kong styled chee cheong fun and bean curd skin rolls but I was already too lazy to take any photos as I didn't like any of them! I am not a fan of chicken feet so no comments there! The turnip cake was a bit too salty. The chee cheong fun tasted average, so were the bean curd skin rolls. Nothing was above average to me! What a disappointment!

Looking at the menu, I was hoping the dessert would turn out to be different. We called all the dessert items on the menu and hoped for the best.



There were 5 items. They were, clockwise from top left - mango pudding with white chocolate and black olive, mochi ice cream, bubur cha cha, double boiled fragrant pear with Vietnamese tea, and sticky rice with fresh mango and coconut ice cream.

Of all the 5, the sticky rice with mango and coconut ice cream was the worst! If I had hoped for this dessert to be as good as the popular ones I had in Bangkok, then my hopes just melted down the drain! I could not believe an expensive restaurant like this could come out with such a poor quality dessert! Look, I did not even bother to take an individual photo of the sticky rice!



The mango pudding was slightly better. Yes, only slightly. The top part was too creamy and sweet! I could not taste the mango in it, so much for calling it mango pudding!



This mochi looked good at first sight. But biting into it and tasting the green tea ice cream inside, I thought it would have been much better if they offered us just green tea ice cream instead!



The fragrant pear in tea dessert was quite good. It was cooling and refreshing and provided a good contrast to all those fried and baked dimsum.



The bubur cha cha turned out to be the saving grace for the desserts. It was one of the best bubur cha cha I have ever tasted! Delicious and not too sweet, with lots of yam and potato cubes and sago in it, I was really satisfied with it.

In fact, I dare say the bubur cha cha was the best food I tasted in the 3-hour brunch, which started at 11.30am and ended at 2.30pm. Even though with the 50% discount, the bill came up to RM50 per person which was not worth it considering the quality of food they served!

No comments:

Post a Comment