Wednesday, May 20, 2009

My Manukan Island Trip (Part 2)

Continued from Part 1

After a 20 minute bumpy ride on the speedboat, we reached Manukan Island. Despite the pain in my butt, I enjoyed the ride. I could see that the Korean lady who "ouched" all the way from Jesselton Point was eager to leave the boat!

jetty 2

Getting off the boat onto the jetty, I saw this 'No Fishing' sign.

no fishing 4

Looking down into the waters from the jetty, I could see lots and lots of fishes!

fishes 6

But we were not allowed to fish! Looks like they have lots of different kinds of fishes here as they had put up this signboard for anyone who is interested.

guide to fishes 3

I just love this view of the sea taken from the jetty walkway. I am not a good photographer - just a novice - so what you see here actually looks much better in reality. I instantly fell in love with the place even before I stepped onto the island!

view of jetty 2

At the entrance to Manukan Island, I had to pay RM3 entrance fee. Non Malaysians were charged RM10.

manukan entry 3

I spent the first hour walking round the island snapping photos of the beautiful beaches.

view of sea 2

Isn't this picturesque? I could just sit here and look at the sea forever!

picturesque sea 2

Lots of rocky beaches here!

beautiful sea 2

These trees provided a nice shade from the sun.

silhouette2

I liked that the beach was not overly crowded. Maybe it would be more crowded during the weekends.

children jetty 2

beach scene 2

snorkel 2

Besides, the beach was very clean!

child on sand 2

It's no wonder! Look at this man driving a tractor. He's actually collecting rubbish from the beach. Sometimes he would get down from his tractor with a rake in his hand and removed plastic bags and other rubbish from the beach.

tractor 3

There were lifeguards there too in case of emergency.

lifeguards 3

There were swimmers, snorkelers and beach tanners all enjoying the beautiful nature of Manukan Island.

more snorkel 2

I just love the view of the jetty from here.

couple manukan jetty 3

manukan jetty 1.3

There were a few beach resorts and chalets on the island. There were also a few eateries and even a badminton court.

This is a stairway up to the Manukan Lodge.

manukan lodge 2

The Manukan Lodge building is mostly for backpackers and those on shoestring budget.

lodge building 2

As I love jungle trekking, I took the opportunity to walk the jogging trail. Along the way, I passed by this resort facing the beach.

beach hotel 2

Definitely it is the more expensive beach resort for those with more money and prefer more luxury.

beach hotel view 2

Walking along the jogging trail proved to be quite interesting as I came face to face with a giant biawak or monitor lizard. It was huge, about two feet long. I tried to take a photo but it hurriedly scurried away into the bushes!

I only managed to snap this photo of a baby monitor lizard instead.

baby monitor lizard

Look! This was another baby lizard that was camouflaged as its colour was almost similar to the stone it was standing on.

another monitor lizard

Besides monitor lizards, there were many butterflies flying around. I managed to capture one when it rested on the tree leaves.

butterfly 2

Looking up the trees, I snapped these photos. I just like to look at the sun light streaming down between the trees.

sunstream2

sun streaming in jungle

The jogging trail was quite long. I think I took more than 30 minutes to reach the end. Maybe if I jogged, it would have been much faster. Anyway, the end of the trail was a dead end! It was a small area with a shelter.

sunset pt hut 2

In fact, this spot is known as Sunset Point. It is supposed to be the highest point on the island to see the sunset.

sunset point 2

Well, too bad it was not sunset yet. Anyway, this is the view from here.

more views fr sunset pt 3

I thought the trees were really blocking my view of the horizon! The other side did not have much of a view!

sunset point view 2

Anyway, since this Sunset Point is a dead end, I had to turn around and walk back the way I came.

I returned to the beach and went for a swim. Actually more like wading in water cos I do not know how to swim! Then, I bought myself a nice coconut drink, found a nice spot on the beach and just sat there with a good book I bought the day before at a bookstore in Warisan Square. Oh, this is bliss!! How nice if my life is like this every day!

I think I am a simple person. All I want is just to sit down beside the sea with a good book and a nice drink, and enjoying the sea breeze and listening to the wonderful relaxing sound of the waves.

waves beach 3

In 3 hours, I would be at KK International Airport waiting for my flight home. Within the next few hours, I would be back at home in KL. And the very next day, I would be back at work as usual.

I really think I could cry.

FIRST COMMENTER

No comments:

Post a Comment