Saturday, May 9, 2009

My Top 5 Divas

I read about The 10 Finest Divas by Rob O'Conner recently and this inspired me to come up with my very own Top 5 Divas today.

These are the Top 10 Divas listed by Rob.

1. Diana Ross
2. Celine Dion
3. Mariah Carey
4. Christina Aguilera
5. Cher
6. Whitney Houston
7. Bette Midler
8. Macy Gray
9. Chaka Khan
10. Barbra Streisand

Do you agree with this list?

But before you agree or disagree, we have to agree on the definition of the word 'diva'.

According to wikipedia, diva is a celebrated female singer. But the Italian term is used to describe a woman of rare, outstanding talent in the world of opera and by extension, in theatre and popular music. However, the word diva is also closely related to the term prima donna, which is a title for leading female singer in an opera. Usually, these leading singers are arrogant and egotistical. In other words, diva is also associated with egotistical female singers who have big voices and unreasonable demands.

So your top 10 list would most probably depend on how you define the term 'diva'.

Well, for my post today, let's define divas as talented, female singers with big voices and are able to command the stage. We shall throw out all those egoistic, unreasonable characteristics, shall we?

So back to the list by Rob, I am quite surprised by his inclusion of Macy Gray. What the heck is she doing there? She's definitely no diva to me! And to be more diva-ish than Barbra Streisand and Chaka Khan? That must be a joke!

And where is Aretha Franklin? She is not in the Top 10? Impossible!

If you think Madonna should be in the list, well let me tell you she can't possibly qualify for her lack of musical talent and voice!

So, who are my Top 10 divas? Well, I think I'll just narrow it down to 5. But instead of just naming them, I shall tie them to the songs they sing.

Now, I have always loved good pop ballads with uplifting lyrics. Not just any pop ballads, mind you but those amazingly powerful ballads that makes your spirit soar and which are inspiring to the soul. Ballads that stir the emotion in you and touch you so deeply that it can even make you cry.

Most often than not, these powerful ballads are usually sung by female singers with powerful voices. These female singers are also usually known as divas.

This form of pop ballads were most popular during the 80's and 90's. Nowadays, you seldom get these kind of pop ballads anymore as it is no longer popular as evidenced by the lack of such music on top of the Billboard Chart.

Besides, not many singers are able to sing such songs as they require one to have exceptional vocal ability and power to execute them successfully.

Anyway, here are my top 5 power pop ballads (and coincidentally, also my 5 top divas!) which I like very much and will always love!

Note: As embedding the original YouTube videos of these songs had been disabled, I could not show them here. You can however click onto the links to watch the videos.



1. "Hero" sung by Mariah Carey

This will always be my No.1 most inspiring song of all time. The first time I heard this, I didn't think too much of it, until I listened carefully to its uplifting lyrics. Wow! Mariah not only wrote this from her heart, she sang from her heart too! This is the song that I play whenever I feel down because it really pulls you up.

I always feel inspired when she sings these words...

"So when you feel like hope is gone,
Look inside you and be strong,
And you'll finally see the truth,
That a hero lies in you...."

Mariah is a true diva - very talented in terms of songwriting and singing as most of her self penned songs/singles hit No.1 on the Billboard Chart.



2. "I Will Always Love You" sung by Whitney Houston

I have to say Whitney Houston is the greatest singer of all time and to date, I don't think anyone has beaten her yet in terms of vocal power. This song stayed on top of the Billboard Hot 100 for 14 weeks, a feat that was only surpassed by Mariah and Boyz II Men with their song "One Sweet Day" which stayed at No.1 for 16 weeks. Originally written and sang by Dolly Parton, this song was given the makeover by Whitney's powerful vocals!

Whitney is another true diva - the diva with the biggest voice!



3. "My Heart Will Go On" sung by Celine Dion

I have heard many singers sang this theme song from the movie "Titanic" but no one could sing it better than Celine Dion. Absolutely no one. You may have a powerful voice but that does not mean you can sing this song well as it requires some form of voice control and technique which only Celine could master. Although I am now pretty bored with this song having heard it endless times, I still rate this as one of the best ballad ever.

Celine is a diva in her own right - but a very "nice" diva that people love!



4. "The Voice Within" sung by Christina Aguilera

Christina is exceptionally good in vocal acrobatics and her voice is so powerful she can definitely give Mariah and Celine a run for their money! She sang this song beautifully. I love it!

I also find the lyrics very inspiring and somewhat similar to Mariah's "Hero".

"When there's no one else, look inside yourself,
Like your oldest friend just trust the voice within,
Then you'll find the strength that will guide your way,
You'll learn to begin to trust the voice within...."

Christina definitely deserves the title 'diva'!



5. "Footprints In The Sand" sung by Leona Lewis

This is a powerful song co-written by American Idol judge, Simon Cowell himself! Leona Lewis, a rising star after winning the X-Factor reality show in UK gave her all in this song. I'm really looking forward to her next album and I hope she will have more of such songs!

Although Leona is still new in the industry and cannot qualify as a diva just yet, but I think she is definitely a diva in the making!

How about you? What is your top 5 inspirational power ballads and your top 5 divas?

Note: I am taking a break from my Kinabalu Trip posts. Will resume with A Walk Along Gaya Street next!

FIRST COMMENTER

No comments:

Post a Comment