Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Procession And A Swordfish

After enjoying my walk along the busy Gaya Street, I decided to head over to the Central Market to find that elusive tarap fruit.

If you have read my post on the tarap fruit, you would have already knew my story.

Along the way, I passed by this orange colour building on Jalan Pantai.



It's The Town Inn, a budget hotel for shoe string travelers. The building stood out because of its colour. Its location is pretty good as it's very near to the famous Gaya Street.

Walking towards the Waterfront, I passed by Hyatt Regency Kinabalu, where our Prime Minister Dato' Seri Najib Razak stayed last week during his trip to KK for a walkabout to meet the traders at the Waterfront markets.

From the hotel, I could see the ikan todak (sword fish) in the middle of a roundabout ahead.



This sword fish is a famous landmark in KK. It is located along Jalan Tun Fuad Stephens near the Segama Waterfront.

But, wait! There's a policeman there! What was the policeman doing there?

Only then I realised there was some kind of procession going on along the main road. The policeman was there to divert the traffic.



A marching band!



What instruments were that? I think they were tubas.



I only took photos from the back as I was just too lazy to walk up to the front in the hot sun to take pictures.



There were many policemen in uniforms around. I wondered what occasion was that all about.

Only much later, when I came back from my KK trip, did I googled about the event and found out that it was a rehearsal for an upcoming "Freedom Of Entry To City" event organised by the Kota Kinabalu City Hall (DBKK) and the Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) on April 18th.

Anyway, I was not very satisfied with the pictures I took of the sword fish. So I went back the next day and took this photo.



The fish looks very much better at this angle, no?

What happened next was a visit to the Central Market to search for the tarap fruit which you would have already read. If not, you are welcome to read it here.

After I left Central Market, I was so thirsty I decided to get myself a drink somewhere. Passing by this coconut stall, I decided to drink coconut water!



This stall was located at the fruit market near the Filipino handicraft market.



This is my coconut drink. It was quite huge and at only RM2.50, I thought that it was pretty cheap! They also provided a spoon for me to scrape at those flesh inside the coconut, but I did not bother to do so. I just wanted to relief my thirst, and boy, was I relieved!

It was close to noon time by then. After all those walking the whole morning, I was hungry. I decided to stop by this Hong Kong char chan teng (restaurant) for lunch before going for my proboscis monkey tour at 1pm.

The Sin Wang Hong Kong Restaurant is located at the ground floor of Warisan Square.

I ordered the sweet and sour fish meal with rice and omelette. And a glass of ice cold Chinese tea.



I thought the food was pretty good! At RM11.90, it was reasonably priced.



After this satisfying lunch, I returned to my lodge and rested for a while before I got ready for my next trip to see the proboscis monkeys. Was my holiday fun? You bet!

Coming up next - My Manukan Island Trip

FIRST COMMENTER

No comments:

Post a Comment