Sunday, January 11, 2009

"Sorry, We Don't Accept Credit Cards"

Two days after I watched "Beverly Hills ChiHuaHua" with my sister, nephew and niece at GSC 1Utama, I was back at another cinema. This time, I was with them watching "Bolt" in its 3D version, at GSC, Mid Valley.

However, before watching Bolt, we went for lunch at Fong Lye, at The Gardens Mall next to Mid Valley.

This was the second time I went to this Taiwanese restaurant. We were lucky it was not noon or lunch time yet when we went that day, otherwise we may have to queue up. I remember the last time I went there for dinner, there was a long queue outside the restaurant after 6pm.

Anyway, my niece ordered this black peppered bean curd dish.



It came in a set with a bowl of rice, three side dishes and a bowl of soup (not in picture)



My nephew ordered a dish called Taiwan Chicken Chop Rice, which he did not allow me to take photos of. He was really naughty that day! Naughty, but in a cute way so I forgave him. Haha!

My sister was on a diet, so she did not order anything. Instead, she just took a few bites from both her children's dishes. I didn't quite agree with her dieting, but I knew no amount of talk would persuade her otherwise, so I just let her be.

As for me, I ordered Fresh Tomato Fried Egg with Fish Fillet.



I liked this dish very much! This dish also came in a set which comprises a bowl of rice, three side dishes and a bowl of soup, exactly like the one my niece was having. It tasted like sweet and sour fish in tomato sauce, except with added eggs, which made it even nicer.

Of course, we also ordered the restaurant's famous Sweet Potato Balls.



Both my niece and nephew loved these potato balls, and they ate most of it!

The Black Peppered Bean Curd costs RM17.80, while both the Taiwan Chicken Chop and my Fresh Tomato Fried Egg with Fish Fillet cost RM19.80 each. The Sweet Potato Ball was priced at RM5.30. Add in a glass of watermelon milk at RM7.30, the total bill inclusive of 15% tax came up to RM80.50 which was quite reasonable, considering the size and quality of the food served.

The problem was, when I went to the counter to make payment, I discovered too late that they do not accept credit card. Only then, did I see the notice at the counter that reads "Cash Only". I wonder how many people really read that notice. I quickly searched my wallet but I could only find, at most RM30 inside. My niece and nephew had already ran out of the restaurant, with my sister running closely after them. Great!

I told the cashier I did not bring enough money and proceeded to complain as to why such a nice restaurant located at a prestigious shopping mall like The Gardens does not accept credit card.

To which she replied, "Sorry sir, our boss does not accept credit cards."

Which to me, was not much of an explanation. I think all those people queueing at the entrance must be looking at me. Was I supposed to feel embarrassed for not bringing enough cash? I didn't think so!

I continued to complain that even if they do not accept credit card, they should at least inform their customers about it when they enter the shop as not everyone who goes there read their "Cash Only" notice.

Luckily, my sister came back in time and offered to pay cash. In fact, she did not have enough cash too, and I had to take out RM10 from my wallet. Phew!

I wondered what would happen if my sister did not come back to pay. Would they follow me to the ATM machine to take out cash? What if I say I don't use ATM machines? What would they do? Isn't it absurd that they only accept cash? A restaurant in a high class shopping mall?

No comments:

Post a Comment