Thursday, October 9, 2008

Buffet At Zipangu, Shangri-La

After an enjoyable buffet lunch at Lemon Garden Cafe in Shangri-La Hotel KL on Monday last week, my friend and I returned to the hotel last Saturday for Japanese buffet at Zipangu.

If you have not been following my blog, do read about my previous post on Lemon Garden Cafe.

We initially wanted to try the buffet dim sum at Shang Palace as friends have commented their dim sum are nice but a call to Shang Palace confirmed that there would be no dim sum buffet available for that day.

In case you think I must be bloody rich to be dining at such expensive places twice in a week, let me assure you I am only doing so since my friend had the Shangri-La privilege card which entitled her and her guest to 50% discount on all dining in any restaurants in the hotel.

OK, back to the topic at hand. The buffet lunch at Zipangu started at 11.30am. We arrived there at 11.30am sharp. Already there were a few early birds there, and I thought we were the earliest!

We were led to our table for two which had a nice view of a fake mini Japanese garden outside.



But as the afternoon set in, we had to request for another table because the sun was shining at our table and it was getting hot!



We actually asked the waiter to lower the blinds but guess what? They were not real blinds, so they could not be lowered! So move to the next table we did!

The first thing I ate was unagi. I love unagi and I knew how expensive they were. And I could eat as much unagi here as I wanted! Wonderful!



I also had beef, fried rice with squids, fish, chicken and something that looks like a fish ball.

Next, I went for my favourite sushi and sashimi.



I did not try their oysters as they were small and did not look fresh. It was a far cry from the very juicy and delicious looking oysters I had at Lemon Garden Cafe!

My friend did not really like raw food and she joked that to kill off all those worms in the sashimi, she asked me to drink some hot soup right after eating them! I was like, yeah, as if that would work! Anyway, there were huge varieties of soups available and I chose this kimchi hotpot with codfish.



It tasted a bit sourish and the codfish was nice. But I think I still prefer Chinese soups. I do think Chinese people make better soups compared to the Japanese.

Next, we went for the tempura.



I don't really fancy fried things simply because I think they are pretty unhealthy with all those trans fat. But I thought the fried pumpkin (right side of photo) was rather nice.

After that, we went for the Japanese salad.



Do you see the Japanese soy beans or popularly known as edamame in the photo? They are my absolute favourites! I ate tons and tons of these beans! If I recall correctly, one plate of edamame in Sushi King taken from the kaiten belt cost RM4. I think the amount of edamame beans I ate that day was equivalent to more than 4 Sushi King plates!

I also like their salmon salad (middle of photo in orange colour) and the different pickles (right side of photo in purple, yellow and black)

By then , I was already too full to try the Japanese noodles. I was really quite surprised at myself. Normally, I would be able to eat some more, but somehow on that day, I felt full already. Maybe it's too much of the fibres from the edamame beans! Or maybe lunch was just too early at 11.30am.

Well, full or not, there must still be some space left for the desserts! I never ever miss desserts at any buffet. Going to a buffet and not eating the desserts is like not going to a buffet at all! Blame it on my sweet tooth!

This being a Japanese buffet, I am not going to miss the mochis!



The purple and green mochi (or is it called omochi?) is a must-eat. The other desserts were the normal cakes and local kueh. I was quite surprised they did not have Japanese green tea ice cream! I would have thought a Japanese buffet should at least include that!

Well, it was nevertheless, quite a satisfying meal. And I sort of like the nice relaxing ambience there. It was certainly a high class dining experience with tables all spread quite far apart from each other so that it felt spacious. No noisy "pasar" environment you normally find in Chinese dining restaurants.

The bill came up to about RM55 for each person after the 50% discount, which was definitely worth it. It was miles better than Shogun which cost about RM60. By the way, I will never go to eat at Shogun in 1Utama ever again - their food is horrible!

I think my next Japanese dining will be either at Rakuzen or Jogoya. Too bad Jogoya is so terribly popular they refuse to offer any promotion or discounts! Maybe we food lovers should co-operate and stop going to Jogoya for a month or two and see if they will consider reducing their price! Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment