Thursday, October 23, 2008

My Strange Encounter At Taman Lembah Kiara

Everyone loves a good ghost story. Who doesn't?

OK, I know of some friends who dislike listening to ghost stories. If you happen to dislike ghost stories, then you can stop reading and go somewhere else. But I do hope that you will continue reading because what I am going to tell you is not a ghost story. Well, not really.

If you have been following my blog, you would most probably know by now that I like to go jogging in the parks. And one particular park I frequent is the Taman Lembah Kiara in Taman Tun Dr Ismail.



As I don't like to jog when the park is crowded with people, I normally choose either late mornings or early evenings to do my jog. To me the less people, the better. I can enjoy my exercise without getting interrupted by screaming kids and people talking loudly.

Well, a few months back, I went to the Kiara park for my usual jogging routine. It was a Sunday and I remember waking up very late as I had a good outing with friends the night before. I think it was almost noon when I reached the park. As usual, I would run up the stairs that lead to the jogging trail in the forest.

On that particular Sunday, there were not many people around. It could be because it was already noon and people would be having their lunch by then. Who in their right mind would be like me, jogging at that hour?



Anyway, as I crossed the suspended bridge and ran along the jogging trail deep into the forest, I noticed how quiet the surroundings were. There was not a human being on sight. No birds chirping, no monkeys playing with each other. Only the rustling of tree leaves and my own breathing were heard.

Out of this quietness, suddenly I heard a man's voice singing. I stopped dead on my tracks.

Where did the voice come from? I could not see anyone in front or at the back of me.

It was a loud, booming voice singing a song that I do not recognise. I could not even identify whether he was singing in English or some other language.

The first thought that came to my mind was the voice belonged to a ghost! But I have never heard of a singing ghost! Except a female ghost that sings some sad haunting songs. This one was different. The song was neither sad nor haunting. It sounded like an anthem a soldier would probably sing in the military. Should I turn back or continue ahead? I could feel my heart beating faster.

As I was trying to decide, the voice became louder and louder.

Then ahead of me, I could see a figure emerging from the forest. It was not very clear, but I imagined it must be a man.

I braved myself and decided to walk ahead, although I felt like running away in the other direction!

As I walked closer and closer towards the figure, I began to see it was actually a man, somewhat middle aged. He was dressed like a soldier. He saw me and stopped his singing abruptly.

We were now within metres of each other. I gave him one quick look and immediately looked away. I did not dare look longer. His face was pleasant enough, not hideous as I so fearfully expected. I was pretty sure he was a Chinese man and I would say he would be somewhere between 45 to 55 years old.

I think he looked at me and smiled. I did not know if I imagined it or not, as I was in a state of fear bordering on panic. We walked past each other. I quickened my pace and did not look back! What if he suddenly decided to turn around and tap me on the shoulder? I would surely die!

I did not know how long I took but when I came out of the forest only did I notice my hands were shaking and I was sweating like mad!

To this day, I do not know why a man would want to dress up like a soldier and sing alone loudly in the forest. It gives me the jitters just thinking about it.

I have never bumped into him in my subsequent visits to Taman Lembah Kiara. Nor do I wish to!

So was it a man? Or was it a ghost?

You decide!

No comments:

Post a Comment