Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Are You Horn Happy?

Traffic jams. Don’t you just hate them?

What do you do when you are trapped in a traffic jam? Listen to the radio? Practise your singing? Play Sudoku? Read the latest novel? Sms your friends? Call someone on your phone? Or just sit there in your car and sulk?

During a massive jam when your car move an inch a minute, don’t you just wish your car have wings and fly? Or call Scotty to beam you up?

During the Ramadan last month, I was trapped in massive jam as early as 4pm. Normally I would stay off the road during those peak rushing home hours between 5-7pm. But it was different during Ramadan. The jam came as early as 4pm. And it irritated the hell out of me!

I think my car ended up using more petrol during that month. What do you expect when you need to stop your car every other minute?


Took this photo while trapped in a jam in front of Crystal Crown Hotel, PJ

When Hari Raya day arrived, it was great relief to me. Finally, I’ve got the whole road to myself! How nice! Unfortunately, it didn’t stay that way for long. The jam came right back after the Raya holidays.

To make things worse for us drivers, we are forced to face with rude and unreasonable drivers who think either they or their fathers own the road.

Only the other day, I was driving happily on my lane, when a motorbike suddenly cut into my lane from nowhere causing me to jam hard on the brakes. But guess what? Instead of me showing him the fingers, he showed me his fingers instead! Can you believe it?

At that moment, I felt like running him down! But I kept my cool because I’m generally a nice person. And I did not want to spend the next few years in jail. Well you know, they don’t serve clean, delicious food in there!

Drivers in KL also have this fondness of using their horns at every opportunity. The traffic light turns green and you better get moving that very second it turns green or you get honked. The traffic light turns yellow and you better beat the light or else you get honked. The traffic light turns red and you slowly cruise to a stop. Unfortunately, the impatient driver behind honks you because he wants to stop in front of the red light in the shortest time possible.

Although KL has heavy traffic and suffers from traffic jam most of the time, it is not as bad as the traffic jams in Bangkok, Thailand. I remember the last time I went to Bangkok the traffic jam there was much worse.


Photo of Bangkok's massive traffic jam from ESL Teachers Board

Surprisingly, despite having more traffic, I hardly hear any driver in Bangkok sounding their horns! Looks like drivers in Bangkok have better manners and not horn-happy unlike their Malaysian counterparts. Shame on you, Malaysia!

No comments:

Post a Comment