Monday, April 27, 2009

My Adventure At Kinabalu Park (Part 1)

When I said adventure, you may be forgiven for thinking I climbed Mount Kinabalu, one of the highest peaks in South East Asia.

Well, I didn't. I visited the foothills of Mount Kinabalu instead. It was an adventure of a different kind.

You see, on my second day in KK, I had planned to wake up early so that I could go visit Kinabalu Park. I woke up at 7am, which I considered very early for a night owl like me! What to do? The chartered van that I booked the night before would be arriving at 8am to pick me up, so either I wake up early or I take the bus to Kinabalu Park myself!

Coming out of my room which has no window, by the way, I was surprised that it was very bright! Oh my God, was I late? It looked like it was already 10am! I took a closer look at my watch. No, my watch showed 7.05am.

Then it dawned on me for the very first time I set my foot in KK. The morning sun over here rises very much earlier than back home in KL. If you can imagine how 10am looks like in KL, then 7am in KK is like 10am in KL!

Anyway, after having my free breakfast of toasted bread with margarine and kaya with a cup of hot coffee, I was all set for my Kinabalu trip. The van arrived right on the dot at 8am. After picking up 3 other tourists at different hotels, we were off on our way.

The journey took about 1 and a half hours. It was halfway that my problem started. I suddenly felt a little pain on the left side of my abdomen. I felt the urge to go to the toilet. That was strange as I already did my business early that morning before my breakfast. I was thinking, please, not now!

The pain came and went a few times. But I managed to bear with it. After some time, my urge to defecate was no longer there, so I forgot about it.

Ascending the mountain in the van, I was fortunate to be sitting on the left side. That's because I noticed the beautiful view of the mountain and the countryside was more likely to be seen out the left window. So, next time you are traveling up the Kinabalu mountain in a car or bus or a van like me, try to sit on the left side. The downside is you get more of the hot sun blazing down on you!

We reached the Kinabalu Park Headquarters at around 9.50am. I paid RM3 at the entrance gate. The van dropped us all off on the main road. By the way, the cost of the chartered van was RM16. Quite reasonable, I think.

Here's my RM3 ticket entrance. Very clever of them to call it conservation fee instead of entrance fee! Makes the 'environment friendly' spirit in me more willing to pay. Haha!



By the way, are you aware that Kinabalu Park is Malaysia's first UNESCO World Heritage site? It is even stated a World Heritage Site on the ticket itself.

It seems that Kinabalu Park is one of the world's most important biological sites. It contains high biodiversity with representatives from more than half the families of all flowering plants. And the majority of Borneo's mammals, birds, amphibians and invertebrates are found here!

And do you know the size of Kinabalu Park? It covers an astonishing area of 754 square km which is bigger than our neighbouring country, Singapore!

This is the main road where we were dropped off.



This photo was taken when I was about to go back. Forgot to take photos when I arrived there! Anyway, did you see the mists? It covered the mountains which were hardly visible.

The weather was cooling, not as cold as Genting Highlands, but cooler than KK town of course. How I hope the weather back home in KL is always like this!

I did not know where the other 3 tourists went, but I was off on my own.



Walking along the quiet road side, I was enjoying the greeneries all around me. There were not many people around. I guess most people who come here aim to climb the mountain and not walk around the park.





After walking along the road pictured above for some time, I reached a quaint looking building.



It appeared to be a hostel by the name Grace Hostel.



Look at the row of flowers beside the hostel. Nice?



There was another hostel a few metres below beside this one. It's called Rock Hostel, if I am not mistaken.



I really don't mind staying here for a night just to enjoy the cool mountain air!



Passing by this rather picturesque road, I looked up to my left and saw more lodgings on top of the hill.



Probably the higher end accommodation since it's on higher ground!

After passing these lodgings, a further walk up the road brought me to these signboards.



I must admit I did not do proper research before embarking on this trip so I was not very familiar with the places that I should visit. In fact, I did not know where will all this walking lead me to! I hoped to walk some of the many jungle trails like the Pandanus Trail in the photo above, but I wanted to see what was ahead of me so I decided against it.

Walking along further up, I reached the Liwagu Suites and Restaurant. I knew from my rather sketchy research that there was a Botanical Garden near the Liwagu Restaurant. But I did not know the building in front of me was the Liwagu Suites at that time as I did not see any sign board. I only saw this.



And this.



Wow! Can you believe it? These superhumans could climb up and down Mount Kinabalu in record breaking 3 hours! In fact, in the men open category, the champion did it in an incredible 2 hours and 44 minutes! Whereas us mere mortals would need to accomplish such feat in 2 exhausting days!

Game for the upcoming 23rd Mount Kinabalu International Climbathon on 24th October 2009? Register yourself here.

Passing these signboards, I continued to walk up the road. And that's where my pain started again. The pain in my abdomen. I had the urge to pass motion. Should I turn back or continue to walk up the road? I decided to continue walking. I was hoping that maybe somewhere further up, I would find another lodging or hostel where I could just drop by to make use of their washroom.

But it was not to be. I walked for more than 20 minutes and the road ahead looked like this.



It was an endless stretch of road and I really did not know how far I got to continue walking! The road was getting steeper too. Somehow, I knew I got to turn back. Meantime, my stomach pain increased, and I had to stop walking for a while to ease myself of the pain. I really thought I must find a toilet somewhere!

Just then, a backpacker passed by. He was from the opposite direction walking downhill towards me.

He said, "Hey, where are you going?"

I told him I was trying to find the Botanical Gardens.

"Oh! You have passed it!" he said. "If you continue walking in this direction, you'll reach the Timpohon Gates! That's about 3km from here and the road is awfully steep."

Timpohon Gates is one of the starting points for climbers of Mount Kinabalu.

I could not thank him enough for pointing me out. So I walked with him down the road but my pain in my stomach had not subsided. I needed to get back to the building I passed by earlier (which was the Liwagu Suites) to use the toilet! But I really did not know if I could make it in time.

I told the backpacker guy my predicament. He said, well, I better hurry along or else I may have to do it inside the forest! I didn't like that idea one bit! So I said bye to him and raced down the road. Somehow I got to reach the Liwagu Suites.

I know, I know! When your poo is about to come out, you can't run, can you? It'll make them come out even faster! But I had no choice! Either they come out now or they come out now!

I really did not know how I did it. But when I saw the building in front of me, I just raced like mad. Raced down a series of steps, I entered the building and searched for the washroom. Luckily, I saw it. Went in and did my business! Phew!!

What a close call! If I were to join the Amazing Race at that moment, I am extremely positive I will win the race!

I never got to meet up with that backpacker guy again. I did not even know his name! Which was a pity as he was a rather pleasant fellow. Well, backpacker guy, if you happen to read this blog, please email me! I would like to be your friend!

For the benefit of my readers, here is the map of the Kinabalu Park taken from Kinabalu Blog.



What did I do next at Kinabalu Park? Well, that will come up in my next post, so stay tuned!

FIRST COMMENTER

No comments:

Post a Comment