Thursday, July 16, 2009

Can You Spend A Whole Day At Shopping Malls?

We Malaysians just love to shop, don't we? It's as if shopping is our favourite pastimes.

I have an Australian friend who tells me he does not understand why Malaysians love to head to the shopping malls every weekend and during public holidays. Don't they have anywhere else to go?

To him, a weekend is best spent going to the parks or hiking in the forests, or go fishing by the lake, or even climb a mountain. Surely anything is better than a trip to the shopping mall!

Come to think of it, I quite agree with him. And yet, there are times I spend a whole day at the shopping mall! Am I cursed like all Malaysians, cursed to spend our time in shopping malls?

But really, what is there not to like about shopping malls? I mean, take 1Utama for example.


Photo of 1Utama courtesy of backpackingmalaysia.com

If you want to know, this is how my itinerary for a typical whole day during the weekend at 1Utama looks like.

9.50am - Park my car. Of course must be kiasu a bit and arrive before 10am to get the best spot! Try arriving after 11am, and you'll be lucky to get a parking space, don't talk about choosing the best spot!

10 am - First things first. Go collect the cinema tickets which I booked online the day before at GSC cinema. Don't want to lose the tickets just because I did not manage to collect the tickets 45 minutes before the show starts!

10.30am - Have a nice relaxing breakfast at Delifrance.

11.30am - Watch movie at GSC cinema. Oh, before that, buy some popcorn first! I know, I know, we just had breakfast, but what is a movie without popcorns?

2 pm - Have lunch at Delicious by Ms Read. Or should we go Canton-I? Or maybe Vietnam Kitchen? Or Sushi Zanmai? Nah, too long queue! Decisions! Decisions! During lunch, chit chat about the movie we just watched, plus any other things that are worth chatting about.

For the ladies, it's usually gossips and more gossips. For the men, it's hot chicks and the latest gadgets and online opportunities and maybe football. For gays, it's about cute guys and sex. But I usually go out with a mixture of males, females, straight and crooked. So we chat about all the above!

4 pm - Must stop our chatting otherwise we would chat till dinner! Time for shopping now! It is after all the Malaysian Mega Sale Carnival right? Why miss all the good bargains? Actually, really got good bargains or not? Sometimes I cannot help feeling it's all a trick to make us spend our hard earned money!



6 pm - So hungry after all those shopping, so just drop by Theobroma Chocolate Lounge for some chocolate drinks and desserts! Yummy! But feel like eating those gui ling gao at Koong Woh Tong. Maybe should go Waffle World for their ice cream waffles! Choices! Choices! Is life difficult or what! Haha!

7 pm - More shopping! And I must drop by MPH to get some books! Or should I go to Action City to shop for gifts? Maybe should go Best Denki to check out the latest plasma TV. Time is just so short! And I have so much to do!!

8.30 pm - Have buffet dinner and karaoke at Neway Karaoke. Don't know whether to eat or sing, damn it!

12 am - Time to leave 1Utama. I am game for a midnight movie, but I don't think anyone else is in the mood for that! Looks like they are larks and I'm the only night owl! Must gather more night owls on my next outing! LOL!

So what do you think? Is it fun to spend the whole day in a shopping mall or not?

And I haven't even mentioned other interesting things you can do like bowling, rock climbing, visit the Secret Garden at the rooftop etcetera, etcetera.

Of course the damage to my wallet is HUGE! Even the parking ticket is enough to pay for 4 lunches at my usual chap fan (aka economy rice) stalls!

No matter how fun it is, I don't think I can do this every weekend. Not that I would go bankrupt or anything like that, but I would prefer more variety during my weekends, like going to the park, hiking in the forests and maybe climbing a mountain! Sometimes doing absolutely nothing but just lazing around at home is great too!

What about you? What do you do during weekends? And can you spend a whole day at shopping malls? Like this weekend?

FIRST COMMENTER

No comments:

Post a Comment