Thursday, March 26, 2009

Do You Support Earth Hour?

Malaysia will be having its very first Earth Hour tomorrow 28th March at 8.30pm.

A lot of bloggers have already blogged about this Earth Hour and most have expressed support for this event.

Now it's my turn.

I noticed not every country is supporting this Earth Hour. India is one of them. I wonder why.

I decided to go around asking my friends and their friends to find out what they think about this event. Here are some of the responses which were quite shocking to me.

"Earth Hour? What's that?"

"Oh yes, I know you are supposed to switch off your lights. That I can do, but don't ask me to switch off my air conditioner - it's so damn hot these days!"

"What? Switch off my TV too? I will miss my favourite TV show!"

"Aiya! Don't ask me to switch off my computer lah. I can switch off everything except my computer!"

"Switch off lights? Then do what? Go to sleep so early meh?"

"No fan, no air con? You want me to die ah, those mosquitoes will kill me!"

"Eh, very dangerous! If everyone switch off lights, thieves and robbers will make a killing!"

"I don't support. This is all a waste of time! What is one hour going to do to help the earth?"

"Tenaga Nasional will lose big if everyone practises Earth Hour! I don't think they will agree to this!"

"Crap! What global warming? There is no global warming! As if turning off lights for one measly hour can solve the problem which is not there in the first place!"

"Yeah, people are so silly, they think that if they switch off lights for one hour, they are contributing to saving the world from global warming. Then after that one hour, they switch on all the lights and waste electricity like there's no tomorrow."

"What nonsense! Do you know how much carbon is burnt for this Earth Hour campaign? Earth Hour is a joke!"

What about you? Are you for or against Earth Hour?

There are some anti-Earth Hour supporters out there who are campaigning to switch on every light and every electrical equipment they can get their hands on during Earth Hour as a sign of protest.

These people say that Earth Hour is a big hype and a waste of time. They think that for it to be effective, this habit of turning off lights should be done daily, or at least once a week. Not just a one day event.

In my opinion, although it is true that switching off lights for one hour won't do much to reduce carbon footprints and conserve energy, the main purpose of this Earth Hour is to create environmental awareness and also serve as a symbol of the fight against global warming. It is through awareness that real concrete action are able to take place. Do you agree?

I heard that a lot of buildings in KL will be joining in this event, like Petronas Twin Towers, KL Tower, Sultan Abdul Samad Building and MidValley Megamall among some of them. So maybe it will be a good idea to go out that night and watch these buildings turn off their lights just for fun!



So will you support Earth Hour and do something for Mother Earth? If yes, do visit this website and sign up to support this event!

PS: I just asked a friend if she supports Earth Hour a few minutes ago. Her response was amusing. "No, I can't switch off all the lights! I'm afraid of ghosts!"

Bloggers Care For The Earth Link Love Chain
Renny - Norway
EastCoastLife - Singapore
A Changing Life - France
Bill - Arizona, USA
Heart of Rachel - Batangas, Philippines
Life Ramblings - KL, Malaysia
Marzie - KL, Malaysia
Jean Chia - KL, Malaysia
LifeCruiser - Stockholm, Sweden
Sassy Mom - Manila, Philippines
foongpc - KL, Malaysia

FIRST COMMENTER

No comments:

Post a Comment