Tuesday, March 3, 2009

How Do You Sleep At Night?

Sleep! That's my favourite past time. In fact, I love sleeping so much it is listed in my top 5 things I enjoy doing! Don't ask me what's the other 4. Hehe.

Nowadays, people are just not getting enough sleep! I know because I'm one of them! But I think I better do something about it cos I learnt that lack of sleep is really bad for health.

In fact, not having enough sleep will make you vulnerable to the following:

1. Weight gain
You read that right. People who sleep less than 6 hours a day have changes in their hormones that will enhance their appetites and resulting in weight gain. Don't believe? Read the report here.

2. Diabetes
Sleeping too little on a daily basis will lead to onset of Type 2 Diabetes. It seems that if you deprive yourself of enough good quality sleep for a week, your insulin and blood sugar level will mimic those of a diabetic patient. You can read more here and here.

3. Heart Diseases
Lack of sleep will lead to heart blockage and even palpitations of the heart. It appears that too little sleep promotes build-up of calcium in the heart arteries leading to formation of plaques that causes blockage and heart attacks. To know more, read this report.

4. Aging
During our sleep, our body produces growth hormones that prevents aging. If you sleep too little, your body will not produce enough of these growth hormones. Coupled with changes of other hormones due to lack of sleep, you will end up aging faster than normal. Read here if you wish to stay young!

5. Cancer
Believe it or not, cancer cells are present in our body at all times. When you are healthy, your immune system keep these cancer cells in check, preventing them from multiplying and taking over control of your body. Our immune system is strongest during sleep, so imagine if you sleep very little. Our body will not be able to produce enough natural killer cells to kill those cancer cells, giving the cancer cells a chance to multiply and become stronger. Read about increased cancer risk due to lack of sleep here.

So for the sake of health, I hope you will make sure you have enough good quality sleep every night from now on.


Now I was tagged by Khengsiong and as you all know, I dislike tags and memes! But I decided to do it since this meme is about sleep and therefore, relevant to this post. Sorry to those who have tagged me earlier. I'm bypassing your tags to do this meme first cos I actually wanted to blog about sleep. So here it is...

===== Start Of Meme =====

How do you sleep at night?


Is your sleep affected by the national angst? Do you drop off easily, as you always did? Or does it take a while to get to sleep?

No, my sleep is not affected by the national angst, whatever that is! If it refers to the current economic situation or the political situation in the country, I do get troubled by it but luckily, it does not disturb my sleep! I sleep very easily, and can even drop off in the middle of a conversation! I even nodded off at traffic lights before until the car behind started honking! Haha!

What strategies, if needed, do you use to get to sleep?

Pills? Sheep? Late night television show? And/or…?

I don't need any strategies to get to sleep since I have no sleeping problems. But I heard that sex helps. So maybe you want to try that out! If you don't have a partner, masturbation helps too! For imsomniacs, you may want to check out my 20 ways to get to sleep.

What strategies do you have to get back to sleep?

Since I don't wake up in the middle of my sleep to go to pee, I don't have a strategy for getting back to sleep. Wake up your partner for more sex or if your partner treasures his or her sleep, you are better off resorting to self masturbation. Haha!

Are your dreams affected?

Are they more anxious than before? Do they wake you up in a sweat? Or are they peaceful, innocent, undisturbed by the general malaise?

Dreams? Sometimes I have scary dreams which wake me up in the middle of the night, but I immediately go back to sleep and the dream actually continues from where it stops! Sometimes, there will be part 3 and part 4 too and I experience a whole mini-series in one night of sleep!

At other times, I dream a lot about food, probably because before I sleep, I read too many food blogs! Haha! Strangely, during those dreams I could never get to taste the food no matter how I tried! Each time when I was about to reach the food with my hands, I woke up! Now, any dream experts out there can teach me how to have lucid dreams, so I can control what I'm dreaming about? : )

===== End Of Meme =====

The rules of the meme are:

  • Answer the questions
  • Link back to the original meme
  • Tag others to participate

I'm tagging the following people whom I think are night owls like me. Haha!

Mariuca (This is my revenge - enjoy! LOL!)

Lisalicious (Sorry! I know Khengsiong already tagged you, but I'm doing it anyway!)

Tekkaus (This is for not visiting my blog lately, Haha! )

Monica (This is for reading my blog at 4am - confirmation of a night owl! Haha!)

Anyone who thinks he/she is a night owl or has problem sleeping at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment