Thursday, March 5, 2009

My Very First Canopy Walk At FRIM (Part 1)

I have acrophobia. If that sounds alien to you, well, it actually means a fear of heights.

Somehow, I don't think my phobia is that serious, but I do get dizzy when I am somewhere high looking down. Like on top of a building, or a mountain, or a bridge.

So yesterday, I decided to face my fear. Yes, either I fight it or I allow it to haunt me for life!

What did I do?

Well, I went to FRIM in Kepong. If you don't already know, there's a canopy walkway in the jungle at FRIM, which is like a suspended bridge about 150 metres long and about 30 metres above ground.

Now, I am a lover of nature. I love the forests and the sound of wildlife around me. I love the smell of plants and I like to hear the sound of river flowing in the distance. That's the reason why I love to go FRIM to jog and to walk the jungle trails.

Although I've been there many times, and passed by the canopy walkway each time, I have never tried going up the canopy before, probably because I have this fear of heights! Well, all that changed yesterday.

I could not find anyone free to accompany me. It's a working day, by the way. Who in their right mind would follow me to go walking in the jungle and climb up a suspended bridge in the late morning? So I guess I had to face my fear all alone! No one to help me if I suddenly go paralysed with fear in the middle of the bridge! Boo hoo! Well, so be it!

I arrived at FRIM at about 11.15am. After paying RM5 at the guardhouse, I drove my car inside. Oh, just driving along the road made me feel so relaxed. The vast greeneries seemed to welcome me with open heart. For a moment, I forgot about the canopy walk.

Everytime I go to FRIM, I always thank God for the forests and the nature that God bestowed upon us. I don't understand why humans would want to cut down the trees and log the forests. It breaks my heart each time I see trees being chopped down in the name of development!

After parking my car, I went straight to FRIM's One Stop Centre to purchase the ticket for the canopy walkway. After being briefed about the walkway, I registered and paid RM5 for the ticket. The lady told me the walkway will be closed by 2.30pm so I should not wait too long to go there.

I left the One Stop Centre and walked a short distance to enter the Rover Tracks after passing the mosque. I often go jogging here, so this place was like my backyard to me.


Map courtesy of FRIM

Here's how the Rover Track looks like, with greeneries all around.





I really think my blood pressure drops a few notches when I am surrounded by these trees and plants! Somehow, I just feel so comfortable being with nature.

After walking for about 900 metres, I reached an open space area where I saw this signboard directing the way to the Canopy Walkway.



The steps you see are the beginning of the jungle trail.



Inside the jungle trail, it was really shady as the trees blocked out most of the sunshine. You could hear sounds of animals and birds here.

As I went deeper, the steps became steeper and it was getting harder to climb. In fact, when I first came here, it was physically demanding for me, and it still is, though I'm slightly fitter now. If you have never exercised before, you will definitely find the jungle trail a huge challenge!



At one point, it was very steep and you just keep going up and up with no end in sight! If you have leg pain and heart problems, this may not be the place for you. But don't let me scare you! As long as you are quite healthy, you should give this jungle trail a try! It may leave you breathless, but you will be much fitter for it.

Some parts of the trail had wooden planks on the ground as a small stream ran below the planks.



I was in awe with some jungle sceneries here I just had to capture them on my handphone camera.





Finally, after about 15 minutes climbing the steep jungle trail, I reached the entrance hut to the Canopy Walkway. I entered the hut and passed the ticket to the person in charge.

As I stepped onto the suspended bridge, I could feel the fear coming. Somehow, I got to do this. And do it alone! To some people, this is no big deal. But to me, who have a fear of heights, it was a big deal.

I held on tight to the ropes as I put my right foot forward.



Will I make it? Find out in my next post coming right up!


FIRST COMMENTER

No comments:

Post a Comment