Thursday, June 11, 2009

Do You Like Bread With Kaya And Butter?

I love bread with kaya and butter! I don't know why, I just love it!

I will sometimes purposely drop by Old Town White Coffee or in fact any kopitiam to order my favourite bread with kaya and butter.


Image courtesy of Singapura Daily Photo

It does not matter whether the bread is plain white bread, or whole wheat bread, and whether it is toasted or not. Any bread will do. But kaya alone to go with the bread is not enough. It must be strictly kaya and butter. Or if no butter, at least margarine.

But just ordering two slices of toast with kaya and butter at OldTown White Coffee would set me back by RM2.70 not including taxes! Rather expensive, isn't it?

Might as well I buy my own bread loaf and my own kaya and butter or margarine.

A bread loaf costs only RM2.50, kaya costs RM2.50 and a cup of Planta Soft costs RM5.00. Total RM10.00. But I get to eat the whole loaf which have at least 12 slices of bread and still have some kaya and margarine left!

With that in mind, I went to buy them on my own yesterday and I ate them today!

breakfast bread with kaya and planta2

Here's the Planta Soft on the left and the kaya on the right. Almost finishing already!!

planta and kaya2

And the bread with generous amount of margarine on one side and kaya on the other, and then eaten with the two sides combined. Heavenly!!

bread with kaya and planta soft2

I don't know who discovered this heavenly combination of butter/margarine and kaya! But it is really a marriage made in heaven! Eat either one is good, but eat them both in combination is many times better! Like a synergy of epic proportions!

Anyway, are you a fan of bread with butter/margarine and kaya?

A word of caution : Bread with butter and kaya is unhealthy. Modern bread is a high GI (glycemic index) food which spikes the blood sugar quickly and besides being laden with carbs, has little or no nutritional value. Butter and margarine contain saturated fat and trans fat that causes our body to produce excess cholesterol which clogs up the arteries. Kaya contains coconut milk and sugar which is definitely not good for health.

However, eaten in moderation, it is OK. Just don't indulge too much. Oops! Looks like I'm not qualified to give any health advice here! Cos I'm just going to throw caution to the wind and enjoy more bread with kaya and butter during the weekend! Yum! Yum!

Happy weekend, everyone! : )

FIRST COMMENTER

No comments:

Post a Comment