Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My Last Day In KK

You thought my KK series is over, didn't you?

Well, almost. This will be the last post.

After spending a really nice time at the beach, I was reluctant to leave Manukan Island. But I had to leave, otherwise I would miss my flight back to KL.

The speedboat ride back to KK was not a pain in the ass, unlike the ride to Manukan Island earlier. That's because I sat at the back.

boatride 3.2

Leaving Jesselton Point, the ferry terminal was a little sad for me. But as I bade farewell to Jesselton Point, KK welcomed me back!

Jesselton Point behind 2

Before I went to the airport, I had my lunch at the Olde Station Kopitiam at Warisan Square. I did not plan to eat anything on board the plane so I had to make sure I was full before boarding. Haha!

I ordered their asam fried meehoon dish with curry chicken which was excellent! Also ordered roti kahwin, which is simply bread with kaya and butter. And also had their very good thirst quencher (not in the photo) - the 3 in 1 drink with kat chai, ham moi and lemon in it. Totally refreshing.

asam fried mee hoon & roti kahwin 2

I reached the KK airport wondering why their screen monitors detailing the flights and time of departure were so small I could hardly read anything on them. Or maybe my vision had deteriorated over the years.

So that's it! I took the flight back to home sweet home!

Oh, let me show you two souvenirs I bought in KK.

souvenirs

On the left is a bottle opener which I like, and on the right is a fridge magnet. The bottle opener also doubles up as a fridge magnet. Nice?

There are a few interesting things I noticed during my KK trip. Two of them I have already mentioned in the earlier posts, that is, the sun rises and sets very early in KK which I don't really like. And the weather can change from sunny to rainy in an instant.

The third thing I noticed is the large number of Filipino people in KK! They were everywhere from the people working at Lavender Lodge to the waiters and waitresses at restaurants. And of course not forgetting KK even had a Filipino market selling handicrafts and souvenirs!

I guess KK is quite near to Philippines, right? Wait, let me have a look at the map. My geographical knowledge simply sucks! Haha!

Anyway, one night as I was walking along the darker streets in KK, a Filipino lady passed by and said hi to me in the most friendly way. I was a little startled, but quickly realised she's looking for customers. Well, if she had not looked that plump, I might have just considered...haha!

Guess the Filipinos are working in all kinds of jobs in KK!

Oh, and do you know KK is home to a number of famous musicians? Singer songwriters Pete Teo, Mia Palencia, Jerome Kugan, acoustic guitar virtuoso Roger Wang and Australian based R&B singer, Che'Nelle are all from KK.

Also from KK is famous TV personality Daphne Iking and the first Asian-born member of the Australian Cabinet, Penny Wong. Didn't know that, did you?

Well, that concludes my post on my KK trip.

If you have missed some of my earlier posts on KK, you may read them by clicking on My KK Trip.

FIRST COMMENTER

No comments:

Post a Comment