Sunday, June 21, 2009

Tenji vs Jogoya (Part 2)

Continues from Part 1

Besides Japanese food, Tenji also serves Chinese food. That means you can eat rice, vegetables and meat all cooked Chinese style. I did not eat them as I was more interested in the Japanese food! If want to eat Chinese food, might as well go to a Chinese restaurant, right?

You can even find dim sum and herbal ginseng chicken soup here!

dimsum n herbal soup 1.1

I did try the herbal chicken soup - it was not bad, but could not match the ones I had in Jogoya. Too bad if you want to taste this particular soup in Jogoya, you would have to be a VIP member first! More on this VIP member stuff (which irritated the hell out of me) later.

Still on Chinese food, if you are a fan of steamed fish, then you don't want to miss Tenji's absolutely fantastic codfish! One of my friends who did not like sashimi and raw food actually ate 5 plates of the codfish!

That's right! She was so fond of the codfish and I could see why. I tasted the codfish and could not resist ordering 2 more plates!

codfish

That's my steamed codfish. It was really yummy! I think eating 5 plates of this codfish is enough to make what you paid for this buffet worth the money!

To order this codfish, all you need to do is to drop the metal clips provided into the bowl at the cooking area.

codfish 3

See the metal clip on the side of the plate? Every table is provided with 2 metal clips. Since we took up 3 tables, we were provided with total of 6 metal clips. The metal clip has numbers printed on it, so that when you drop them into the bowl at the cooking area, the staff would know which table to deliver the cooked food to.

When they deliver the cooked food, they would return the clip so that you can use the clip again and again. I was supposed to remove the clip from the plate but I was too busy eating the fish! Haha!

clips in bowl2

The above photo shows the place where you can drop the metal clips. See the bowls? Each bowl is for different type of fish or seafood so you pick which one you want and just drop your clip into the selected bowl. Once cooked, the dish would be delivered to your table.

Notice from the photo above that everyone had dropped the clips inside only one bowl? That bowl is for the codfish! So you can see that the codfish was a very popular dish!

I also dropped my clip into the bowl for the steamed red fish. Here's my red fish.

red fish 2.1

It was delicious, but the flesh was not as smooth as the codfish. That's why I saved my stomach for more codfish instead of ordering this red fish a second time! haha!

I would say that the codfish here beats all the fish I have eaten at Jogoya! No doubt, Jogoya has more varieties of fish and seafood but the last time I ate there, I did not enjoy eating them! The quality of the food in Jogoya had definitely dropped.

Walking around, I came across this station which served vegetables in soup. I decided to give it a try.

soup station 1.1

Just pick the metal bowl with the combination of vegetables that you like and hand over the bowl to the cook who will add the boiling soup into your bowl.

cook preparing soup 1.1

This is my bowl of vegetables in soup! I placed it on top of the burner though I did not start the burner. There was no need as the soup was hot. I just placed it there for fun! haha!

soup

My bowl of vegetables contained mushrooms and bamboo clams. It was pretty tasty! Not bad at all.

soup 3

The burner I mentioned above was not for that soup but was for the paper steamboats. See that same cook stuffing something that looks like paper onto the burner below?

worker at soup station 1.1

Yes, you would need to get him to help you start the burner. I did not try this paper steamboats. Maybe I will try it next time I return to this restaurant.

My friend ordered this lamb shoulder using the metal clip dropping system.

lamb shoulder

I took a bite. It was quite nice, although I got a bit frustrated when I could not swallow the last bit as it was hard to chew! Almost wanted to spit it out but luckily I managed to swallow it. Haha!

There's also a salad station for fans of salad. Look! I found my scallops! (right side of picture)

salad 1.1

You can also find Korean kimchi. Next to it was a food called "horeanso". I have absolutely no idea what that was! Anyone knows?

kimchi 1.1

There were Western dishes if you like Western food. My friend took this plate of butter fish and lamb, if I am not mistaken. I tasted the butter fish and it was OK. I was not that interested in the Western dishes as I was really there for the Japanese food!

western 2.1

Besides the not-to-be-missed coconuts as mentioned in Part 1, you can also drink tea! Tenji had quite a variety of teas for you to choose from. Oops! I think the green tea was missing! Maybe the staff had taken the pot to be refilled.

assortment of teas

I chose blueberry tea, which tasted slightly sourish. I liked it! My friend chose rose tea. That was nice too!

To drink the tea, you need to take an empty teapot and pour the tea from the main teapot (photo above) into your empty teapot. You can then bring your teapot to the table and pour into cups to be shared with everyone.

Here's my teapot containing blueberry tea and the cup which I poured the tea into.

blueberry tea

They also have coffee which I did not wish to drink as I am not a fan of coffee whether they are cappuccino, latte, espresso or mocha!

Oh, and I think Tenji serves beer too! I saw this Carlsberg bottles outside at the outdoor garden.

carlsberg 1.1

I actually prefer red wine. Like what I drank at Jogoya although I understand it's cheap wines. It's OK since I am not a good wine drinker anyway, so cheap red wine is better than no wine! Haha!

We had quite a fun outing or should I say, gathering at Tenji. Barely half an hour into our buffet, we were already tasting the desserts!

But you know what? I think this post is getting a little too long already. So very sorry to say, I will have to continue in the next post. Looks like Tenji vs Jogoya is going to be a trilogy in the making. Haha!

In Part 3, I shall touch on the desserts and sum up the comparison between Tenji and Jogoya. Stay tuned!

FIRST COMMENTER

No comments:

Post a Comment