Thursday, June 25, 2009

Top 10 Things That Irritate Me In The Cinema

Do you like watching movies? Most people do but some like to watch them at home. Me? I love watching movies at the cinema!

My favourite cinema at the moment is GSC Signature at The Gardens Mall in MidValley City. I know! I know! I have criticised it in my post last time, but after I went there early this year, I totally changed my mind. In fact, I was hooked!

Although it costs at least RM20 per ticket, which is almost twice the amount of a ticket at a normal cinema, it is worth it. For one, you get a bigger screen, more comfortable seats and less crowd! Besides, the crowds are the more civilised one, if you know what I mean.

You don't? Well, then let me tell you some of the less "civilised" things that I encounter in the normal cinemas that irritate me to no end!

1. Talking loudly on the handphone

This is the most irritating thing that one can do in the cinema, and let me tell you in case you are not an avid cinema goer, this happens a lot in Malaysian cinemas! Don't these people have any consideration for others? How am I going to concentrate on the dialogues spoken in the movie if they are interrupted and mixed with dialogues on the handphone?

I even have a friend who is like that! Sometimes she would receive a call in the cinema, and she would whisper into her phone. But when she could not hear the person at the other end, she would say "Hello? Hello?" a few times with increasing volume each time. I would get irritated and said "Shhhhh!!" but she would just ignore me!

When I tell her she is not supposed to talk on her handphone in the cinema, she would say it it is a very important call and she had no choice. Well, what can I say? Is the call so important that her life depends on it? And how come ALL her calls were so important, I wonder?

After a few times like that, I knew there would be nothing I could do short of arguing with her. So no more watching movies at the cinema with her! Good riddance!

2. Chit Chatting

Do you believe if I tell you that there are some people who go to the cinema not to watch movies but to catch up with their friends? Yes, you better believe it! I have encountered this before, and it really made my blood boil!

There was once I was watching a movie in the cinema and there was this couple just right behind me who could not stop chit chatting. Let me tell you, if I had just sat there and not intervened, I would have learnt enough about their private lives to write a tell-all book!

I told them very nicely that it was difficult for me to concentrate on the movie if they keep chit chatting like that. Well, they stopped. For a while. Maybe 5 minutes. Maybe 6. Then they were at it again!

For goodness sake, if you want to chit chat, why bother going to the cinema? Just sit at a nice restaurant or at a beautiful park and you can chit chat till kingdom come!

My friend who were with me gave them a mouthful and then we stood up and sat at two empty seats further down the hall!

3. Giggling all the time

Oh, let me tell you about this one! One time I had the unlucky experience to sit next to two girls who kept giggling non stop from the moment the movie started. And mind you, the movie was a serious drama. Definitely no comedic elements in the script whatsoever.

I really did not know the reason why they kept giggling, but it just got onto my nerves! I guess they were just chit chatting like case No.2 above and not really watching the movie. I just told them, "Excuse me, are you in the wrong hall? This movie is not a comedy!"

Luckily, they got it and they actually left after that. Phew!! At last, I got to have some peace of mind for the remaining part of the movie!

4. Laughing for no reason

OK, this is not as bad as the giggling above, but it still irritates me. I don't know why there are people in the cinema that laugh aloud at the most unfunny jokes. And they can even laugh at advertisements before the movie proper. I mean, what is so damn funny that you need to laugh aloud like that? It's as though they have never been to the movies before. Maybe they are from some kampong some where and this is their first time watching a movie in the city?

I honestly don't know! Some of the scenes in the advertisements - we have seen countless of times before, and even if we have not seen them, we would just merely smile and not laugh aloud like some idiots! I cannot understand why they need to laugh like that. I even think it sounds fake! Anyone can enlighten me on this crappy behaviour?

5. Sneezing or coughing all the time

Have you been to the cinema where someone sitting close to you kept sneezing or coughing? I mean it's OK to sneeze or cough once in a while, but not every few minutes!

If you are sick, for goodness sake, please don't spread your germs around in the cinema hall! At least have the decency to excuse yourself and leave the hall. Or suck a cough drop or something to stop yourself from coughing like someone with a terminal disease.

6. Kissing and making out

Have you ever seen couples kissing and making out in the cinema hall? I have to admit the dark environment in the cinema hall is just perfect for such actions! But come on! You go to the cinema to watch movies, not practise French kissing!

I mean, if you can't control your raging hormones, there is one simple way to overcome it. Just go to a cheap hotel, book a room and do whatever you want to do in there, for God's sake!

Don't do it while I am trying to enjoy my movie! I prefer to see my favourite stars making out on the screen, not you!

7. Sms-ing

Some people think that sending text messages on the phone is OK as long as they are not talking aloud on their phones. Well, how wrong they are! I don't know about you, but when someone sitting in front or by my side start sms-ing, the bright light from his or her phone would distract me from my movie watching.

I really think people should switch off their phones completely if they are addicted to texting and sms-ing.

8. Bringing a noisy or crying kid

I really hate it when the movie I'm watching is interrupted by noisy or crying kids! Why do parents like to bring their kids to the cinema if their kids are not disciplined enough to keep quiet during the movie? It is just so inconsiderate of them!

If they still want to watch the movie, simply get a babysitter to take care of their kids. Don't bring the kids into the cinema! If they do not have a babysitter, then don't watch the movie in the cinema. Get the DVD and watch it at home!

In fact, I think kids younger than 6 years old should be banned from the cinema!

9. Bad breath and body odour

Some people have stinking breath that I can smell two seats away! And some people have body odour that seems to suffocate me and makes me gasp for fresh air! Oh, these are the nightmares that can happen in the cinema if you are unlucky enough!

What would you do if the person sitting next to you have the strongest, most foul smelling body odour that would threaten to make you faint? Would you leave or would you struggle to watch the entire movie in that condition? Or would you tell that person he has body odour and could he please leave?

Well, I was lucky enough one time when this happened to me because there were many empty seats and I just simply changed seat. I can't imagine what I would do if the hall was full!

10. Revealing the ending aka spoilers

I don't know why but there are some people who go to watch the same movie twice or thrice or God knows how many times! I'm OK with that actually. If you want to watch the same movie 100 times, that's your God damned business! I'm sure the cinema operators welcome you with open arms!

But what I am not OK about is when these people start telling their friends loudly in the cinema the movie's storyline, what's going to happen next and worse, how the movie is going to end.

I mean, don't they know most of the people in the cinema were there to watch the movie for the first time? We don't need you to spoil it all for us, thank you! I am not going to pay RM10 for a movie that I know the ending to even before I watch it!

Imagine knowing what's going to happen in the next scene. If I were to watch horror movies, I would absolutely hate it if someone were to say "Oh, look out! The ghost is going to appear here!" Or if I were to watch a whodunit movie, someone were to say "There he is! He's the killer! You just can't guess it right?"

I think I would go and strangle that person! Wouldn't you?

FIRST COMMENTER

No comments:

Post a Comment