Tuesday, November 10, 2009

OldTown White Coffee vs PappaRich

If you are living in Malaysia, you may have come across OldTown White Coffee. You may have even eaten there.

At the last count, there are 135 OldTown White Coffee outlets in Malaysia. That's a lot if you ask me!

Is it any wonder that I seem to bump into at least one OldTown outlet a day? And if you are to drive around town, the chances of seeing an OldTown outlet is pretty high!


Photo of an OldTown outlet courtesy of Chowtimes.com

I wonder why is OldTown so popular. For one, I think their food is nothing to shout about. You can actually get similar food at better quality at your normal coffee shops. And for that kind of food quality, OldTown are charging at really high prices!

Now why would anyone want to eat there? Maybe for the ambience? Or maybe for the free wifi?

I must admit I quite like OldTown's garlic bread, though.


OldTown's garlic bread photo courtesy of Aliceteh.com

Recently, I visited another similar kopitiam or coffee shop called PappaRich. Have you eaten there?

At the last count, there are 23 PappaRich outlets in Malaysia, all in the Klang Valley region. At only 23 outlets compared to OldTown's 135, they sure have a lot of catching up to do!


Steaming dimsum at PappaRich

I don't know about you, but I think I prefer PappaRich. Why? They have more variety of food! So much more! Let me tell you what they have that OldTown does not.

OK, they have dimsum like vegetarian bao, avocado buns, pumpkin buns, and egg tarts! Granted, their dimsum are not fantastic, but at least they have them!


Steamed pumpkin buns

And the different kind of breads they have really amaze me. There's roti bakar, roti stim, roti kulit bakar, roti kulit stim, wholemeal steamed, wholemeal toasted, roti bakar susu, naan and even an imitation of the famous Rotiboy coffee flavoured buns!


Photo courtesy of Papparich.com.my

As for drinks, they have lots of nice delicious variety to choose from! I really like their red bean cendol drink, and their soya cendol with gula melaka!

As for desserts, they have ABC special with durian! Yummy! And even soya milk tang yuen!


Pappa ABC Special with ice cream

Now I am not saying the food quality at PappaRich is excellent. In fact, some normal kopitiam shops sell better quality food at cheaper prices! However, the food sold in PappaRich are costlier than OldTown, although the portion of food served in PappaRich is larger.

I am just saying that PappaRich has so many more varieties of food that you can have more choices.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I am fed up with OldTown. Bored, even. I actually can't stand their food! They should seriously improve on their menu or people will most likely flock over to PappaRich!

Well, that's just my opinion. What about you? Do you prefer OldTown or PappaRich?

Or perhaps you think Station One Cafe or Kluang Station is better?

Coming up next : Just when you thought it's over.....Lost In Xingping (Part 5)

FIRST COMMENTER

No comments:

Post a Comment