Monday, November 23, 2009

5 Amazing Things I Like About Thailand

Do you know who are the friendliest people on Earth?

I don't, since I have not traveled widely enough to all countries in the world. But one thing is for sure, it's not us Malaysians!

A lot of foreign tourists said we Malaysians are warm and friendly, but if you have ever been to Thailand, you will know we are no where near their level.

I am not writing this post to criticize Malaysia or to praise Thailand, but just to share what I think. Strictly my own opinion and you are welcome to disagree with me!

And so here are 5 amazing things I like about Thailand based on my personal observation.

1. Did you know that traffic jam is legendary in Bangkok? I went there a couple of years back and the roads were just clogged with vehicles! And their 'tuk tuk' drivers were simply notorious for their reckless driving!


Photo courtesy of ESL Teachers Board

And yet, I could not help but feel it's also one the safest cities for drivers and pedestrians alike! Have you heard of serious road accidents in Bangkok? Well, at least not as many as in KL right?

And what really amazed me was they were not horn-happy unlike Malaysians! Even with all the traffic on the road, I did not hear a single driver horning his or her car! Isn't it amazing?


A 'tuk tuk' image courtesy of sino.net

2. Did you notice that most Thai people are slim? I hardly see any fat or obese people in Thailand! Now why is that? I guess it's their fresh and healthy food, devoid of too much oil and fats! Also, I think they walk a lot!

Now I have nothing against fat people, but I just marvel at how the Thai people manage to stay slim! I guess they are active people unlike most Malaysians who eat 24 hours a day and do not exercise!


Tom yam goong image courtesy of Thailand Travel Online

3. Do you think the Thai language is one of the most gentle and polite languages in the world? I really think so! Maybe that's why when the Thai people talk, they seem to appear so much more polite than Malaysians!

But I don't think it's in the language alone. I am pretty sure the people there are polite and caring. And most importantly, they give the best service! Is it any wonder that Thai's tourism industry is booming like nobody's business?


Photo courtesy of Mantrav International

4. Did you know the living condition in Thailand is worse than in Malaysia? And they are suffering from economic problems and political upheavals. Yet, the Thai people are simply nonchalant about all these. They seem to persevere and have the Mai Phen Rai attitude.

Mai Phen Rai is a well known Thai phrase for 'never mind', or 'no problem' or 'it doesn't matter'. And that's what I like about them! They take their problems in their stride. Life just goes on!

Now if only Malaysians have this Mai Phen Rai attitude and stop complaining when they are faced with minor obstacles and problems!


Image courtesy of Bangkok Noir

5. I notice Thailand is a very open country and they do not discriminate against people with different sexual orientation (read gay). Where else in an Asian country can you find go go girls and gay bars being openly promoted to lure in tourists?

I doubt Malaysia will ever be this open. Especially when the authorities here think being gay is tantamount to committing a sin that is worse than murder. I really think we should accept people as they are, be they straight or otherwise!

FIRST COMMENTER

No comments:

Post a Comment