Sunday, February 8, 2009

My Favourite Chinese New Year Foods

Today is the 15th day of Chinese New Year. It is also known as Chap Goh Meh, the day where we Chinese celebrate by eating tang yuan, one of my favourite desserts.

Here in Malaysia, today is also Chinese Valentine's Day where young unmarried women gather to throw mandarin oranges into the sea or lake in the hope that their future spouse will pick it up. If you stay in Petaling Jaya or Kuala Lumpur, you might want to head over to Taman Jaya near Amcorp Mall tonight to either throw your oranges (if you are a girl) or collect the oranges (if you are a boy). For gays, you can throw as well as collect. LOL!

Remember to insert your name and contact number in your oranges before you throw into the Taman Jaya lake, or else you'll just be wasting your time. Then you might as well hand me your oranges so I can eat them. Ha ha!

But just to be on the safe side, I think better not include your contact number, maybe just your email address or blog URL if you are a blogger.

Today is also the last day for me to eat my favourite yee sang, so I will definitely not want to miss it!

Here's the yee sang which I "ta pau" (take away) from Magic Wok Restaurant in Damansara Jaya on Yan Yat day (1st Feb 2009). I absolutely love it! The restaurant offered a RM10 discount on that day.



Guess what? The restaurant is offering the RM10 discount again today in conjunction with Chap Goh Meh so I'm going there later today to buy my favourite yee sang!

I am such a big fan of yee sang I even tried the pre-packed one sold in Jusco! It costs only RM10 per box which is enough for 4 people, although on the box, it was stated for 7-8 people!



This is strictly for those with very low budget but still want to try eating this yee sang. Don't expect the ingredients to be as fresh as those found in restaurants. Still, I tried it and surprisingly, it did not taste too bad!

Of course you can also buy pre-packed yee sang from the sushi section in Jusco. Those are fresher but is more expensive, selling at around RM44 per packet.

Every Chinese New Year, I must have the following food or else I would feel as if I am not celebrating the new year! Not in any particular order, my must-have foods are ....

1. yee sang
2. tang yuan
3. pineapple tarts
4. nga ku or arrowheads
5. mandarin oranges
6. lap ngap or waxed ducks
7. kueh kapit or love letters
8. nian gao or sticky rice cakes
9. kuih bangkit or tapioca cookies
10. fah sang peng or peanut cookies

Gosh, just thinking about these foods makes me drool. Haha!

So what are your must-have Chinese New Year foods?

No comments:

Post a Comment