Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Steamboat Potluck Party

Last Sunday, my friend invited me and a few other friends to a steamboat potluck party at her house in Sri Petaling. I initially wanted to turn it down as I was still having my flu and sore throat.

But after resting the whole day in bed during Valentine's Day, and taking loads of fruits and vegetables coupled with lots of immune strengtening bee pollen and spirulina, I felt much better on Sunday. Besides, I have been looking forward to this potluck party and I was determined not to let my flu stop me!

I could not decide what to bring for the potluck party but in the end, I settled for the infamous curry puffs from IKEA. Well, not a very good idea as I found out too late at my friend's house that she had a whole bucket of curry puffs laid out on the table! Well, too bad!

One of my friends picked me up from my house. Sitting in his car, this caught my attention.



It was Huan Huan, the 2008 Beijing Olympic mascot doll! Isn't he cute?

I was not surprised to see this doll hanging in my friend's car. It just caught my attention because my brother has the same doll in his car. What a coincidence! haha!

By the way, I prefer Jing Jing, the other cute mascot of the Beijing Olympics. If you notice, I've made him as my avatar for my blog.


When we reached our friend's house in Sri Petaling, it was already 7pm. My stomach was growling. Especially when I saw this!



We waited for a few more friends to arrive and then we went straight for the steamboat prepared by the host.



The ingredients were fresh and tasty. And the soup was delicious!

As this was a potluck party, there were many other food brought by my friends. There were cakes, Ayamas chickens, fruit salads, sandwiches, meehoon, ice cream and red wine. And not forgetting the IKEA curry puffs I bought and the host's bucket of curry puffs! I did not bother to take photos of those. I will just let you imagine them. Haha!

We even had ice cream bread. A new way of eating ice cream I must say! It's just ice cream taken from the ice cream tub and applied onto bread and eat like a sandwich! The thicker the ice cream, the better!



Mmmm, so yummy!! I didn't know ice cream sandwich tastes so good! Seriously, I must do this myself at home!

Apart from the food, what I really enjoyed that night were the laughters and banters we threw at each other. It was really fun!

Here's the Kickapoo joke that I would like to share with you all, though it's funnier if you understand Cantonese. I was laughing over this joke even after I reached home! You know the soft drink brand called Kickapoo? Well, here's how the conversation turned out between me, and my two friends which I shall call Friend A and Friend B. Just for your information, Friend A is not good in Cantonese but good in Mandarin. Friend B is good in Hokkien but not good in Cantonese.

Friend A : Foong, you know what Kickapoo means in Cantonese, right?

Me : Kickapoo? No. What does it mean in Cantonese?

Friend A : You really don't know?

Me : (thinking...) No, I really don't. Please tell.

Friend B : Yes, please tell us.

Friend A : Kickapoo pronounced in Cantonese sounds like kei ka poh.

Me : What is kei ka poh?

Friend B : Yeah, what's that?

Friend A : Huh? You always watch Hong Kong TVB series how come your Cantonese so cha (lousy) one?

Me : Err... I don't know. But really, what does kei ka poh means?

Friend A : It means qing fu. (lover)

Me : Oh, you mean kai ka poh! Alamak! Your pronunciation sucks!

Friend A : Oh, it's kai, not kei! I always make that mistake!

Friend B : Sorry, I didn't hear properly. What is kei ka poh?

Me : Qing fu

Friend B : What? Chui fu? (take off trousers)

Me : No! Qing fu!

(At this moment we were already laughing like mad!)

Friend B : What does qing fu mean?

Me : Lover

Friend A : It means something like mistress.

Friend B : What has liver got to do with mistress?

Me : Liver? What you talking about?

Friend B : You told me it's liver.

Me : No lah!!! It's lover!!!

Friend B : Oh!

The others who were sitting beside us all burst into non stop laughter! I laughed till I could feel pain in my stomach! It was the most hilarious conversation I've ever heard!

But if you think that's the end of it, let me tell you what happened when I returned home that night. Or was it early morning? Cos we had such a good time we only left my friend's house at around 2am! By the time I reached back home, it was close to 3am.

My mother was woken by me fumbling with the locks. Maybe too much red wine so was a little drunk. Anyway, my mom asked me in Cantonese "Zou mat yeh gong chi sin fan lei?" (Why come back so late?)

Without even thinking, I said, "Oh, ngo tong pang yao kheng kai" (Oh, I chit chat with friends)

She didn't hear properly and exclaimed, "Meh a? Kiu kai?" (What? Call prostitutes?)

Ha ha ha! I just could not stop laughing! It was really a night of laughter. And I felt so good the flu was no longer a problem! No wonder they say, laughter is the best medicine!

No comments:

Post a Comment